Friday, September 24, 2010

Realistic Optimism

What comes to your mind when you hear the word “optimism”? For many, the word evokes an idea of being positive and thinking of the best possible interpretation out of any situation. Optimistic people are said to be happy people who think of the best outcomes even in bleak and dire situations.

Critics of optimists argue that one needs to look at things squarely and just see things for what they are. Interpreting the situation in favor of one’s interests is to make an inaccurate wishful thinking. Thinking of the good side of things and wishing for the best can be rather delusional, and can only bring about disappointment.

I would like to make a case not just for simple optimism, but for realistic optimism. By realistic, I actually want to accommodate what critics of simple optimism are saying.

I would like to illustrate my point with the proverbial glass of water being half full or half empty. Let’s say, one thinks it favorable to have more water. If the glass is indeed half full and half empty, a person who is realistically optimistic will simply say it is half full and celebrate the fact that there is still half a glass of water. Although it is equally accurate to say that the glass is half empty, this only brings about a sense of inadequacy and want.

In a similar instance that the glass is only a quarter full, a realist will argue that it is more accurate to describe the glass as being three quarters empty. And yet, describing this glass as being a quarter full and celebrating what is still there can still bring a sense of joy. Rather than bemoaning the fact that a greater portion of the glass is empty, one is able to appreciate the little that one still has. This is the true test of realistic optimism—to be able to celebrate the little that one has instead of lamenting what one does not have and what one could still have.

I admit that, in a way, such optimism can also lead to complacency and low expectations of oneself. Admittedly, this is not always helpful, and this is something optimists need to be careful about. Balancing realistic optimism with realistic goal setting might be a good combination. When an optimist is able to celebrate what one has—little thought this may be—and still improve his or her situation, then the optimist is able to strive for more despite being content with what he or she has. This is the essence of realistic optimism.

This habit of celebrating what we have and what we treasure, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant is a valuable life sustaining habit. Research has shown that such a habit leads to more happiness in people. So, if you want to be happy, I encourage you to practice this brand of realistic optimism. What are the things in yourself and in your life that you have been taking for granted? Just think about it: there is always a cause to celebrate the little things.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dr. Boboy,

    Thank you for writing this blog. I've been keeping up with the entries, and it's been interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading my entries, Madeleine. Do tell me what topics you think I can be writing about in the future (relating to psychology, of course), so I can write more interesting entries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah. this article speaks of my spiritual life now- As I feel closer to my God I lose my former primary motivators in excelling, fear and pride. I suppose no amount of excellence can compare to the Joys of having a relationship with my God... the problem now is how to keep the Joy but still be driven to act on my faith in terms of good deeds. To transform my 'selfish' faith into faith in action.

    Thumbs up to article

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you, Dem! You look like you are really striving to live life fully!

    Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete