Saturday, March 6, 2010

Introduction to This Blog

I am not a professional blogger. In fact, this is the first blog I ever put together. What I am is a Clinical Psychologist from the Philippines. My practice is in Quezon City, under the banner of PsychConsult, Inc. I am one of the founding directors of this group practice (see www.psychconsult.com.ph). Starting June 2010, I will also be a full time teaching staff of the Department of Psychology of the Ateneo de Manila University.


So, why did I decide to put together this blog? From among the many reasons I have in doing this, I guess they all boil down to why I really chose to become a clinical psychologist. I wanted to make a difference in people’s lives. As the practice of Clinical Psychology, doing academic research, and teaching have their pre-defined audiences, I figured that this medium has the potential of reaching out to yet another set of eyes and ears.

Now, who are my intended readers? I really wanted a blog for stake holders and consumers of mental health services in the Philippines. It is primarily for people who want to further improve their knowledge and quality of lives in the areas of psychological wellbeing. An inherent subgroup from this potentially large audience includes people who have various psychological concerns and would like to know more about them. For example, you might think that you are suffering from a mental illness or have been diagnosed as such, and would like to know more about it. Or you could have a relative or friend who was recently diagnosed and would like to understand more about it. You might have a child with special needs and struggle with this reality. Yet another group that I intend to write for includes both aspiring and established clinical psychologists, peers who would like to know my thoughts and struggles as I carrying out this profession in the Philippine context. In the end, it is for and about the Filipino audience, both in the Philippines and abroad, that I hope to be writing.

Now that I have explained why I have decided to put together this blog and to whom I hope to be writing, what are the sort of topics I will be covering in this blog? I intend the content of my blog to include one of the following:

1. Fostering and nurturing personal psychological wellbeing and mental health;

2. Highlighting information and online resources related to psychological wellness and specific disabilities and mental health concerns;

3. Discussing topics that aim to provide support for parents and family members of those who have specific disabilities or mental health concerns;

4. Elucidating common misconceptions about psychology and the applied field of clinical psychology;

5. Clarifying the role of the clinical psychologist; and

6. Narrating the struggles and questions of practicing this profession in Asia, and in the Philippines in particular.

I must say that I am quite excited to begin this new endeavor. I hope that I can be relevant to the needs of those out there who spent time reading blogs, and those I can encourage to begin to do so. If you can, do follow my weekly blog or check this blog every so often. Do give me feedback so that I can improve my blog over time. You can also suggest some topics or ask questions that you think I can cover, and I will try my best to entertain your request. Happy reading!

8 comments:

  1. I would like to know more about how to overcome
    the following bad attitudes or habits:
    1.Procrastination
    2.Lack of Focus or attention
    3.Hoarding Disorder and what causes it
    How can we have the motivation to work towards
    our desired goals in life?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your suggestions, Theresa. I will surely include these in my list of topics to cover in the future. So, hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr Boboy,I would like to know about how to overcome self-consciousness or shyness and what causes such behaviour in individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I do hope to write about anxiety in the next few weeks. Although not directly addressing your concerns, many people who are self-conscious and shy are also rather prone to anxiety. So, do watch out for that. I can also write about your specific concerns more directly in the coming months. So, do check this blog every so often for such posts. Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr, Boboy. I am Joseph Peña. I'm currently working as a Grade School Counselor in XS.

    Thank you for that good seminar about Bullying. (Please send my thanks also to Ms. Berny Go for her seminar on Children's Social Skills) You gave a lot of good points to ponder on. And I find it nice also that you recognize that implementing these in our schools is a challenge lot. Your talk made me reflect on what I do for my kids in school. I'm currently going through my notes and trying to see what I could apply in my practice as a counselor.

    It's also nice to know that you keep a blog - I intend to follow this. I'm dabbling with blogging myself, and it has been very useful in extending what I teach inside the classroom, during counseling sessions, and encounters with parents and teachers. Currently, I maintain 2 blogs: one for my students (www.askteacherjoseph.wordpress.com) and another for parents and teachers (www.suchgreaterheights.wordpress.com).

    With your permission, I would like to use your blog as one of my sources. Again thanks for sharing what you know. It's really helpful in addressing the needs of our students. =)

    JOSEPH

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are most welcome, Joseph! I am so happy to hear that you found our talks helpful.

    Do feel free to use this blog as a resource. If you have any thoughts on what topics you would like to read about in my blog (that is within my area of training, of course), do let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. good day sir..

    I'm 4th yr Psychology student from new Era University. sobrang na inspire po aq sa inyo..I hope someday maging katulad niyo rin po aq..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the encouraging words. Kaya mo rin itong ginagawa ko!

    ReplyDelete