Thursday, March 18, 2010

Say what? Distinguishing Psychologists, Psychiatrists and Counselors

Whenever I meet someone new, one of the first questions that often get asked is what I do for a living. When I say that I am a clinical psychologist, a frequent follow up question is to clarify what someone in my profession actually does? Due to the fact that I am so often asked this question, I thought that explaining my answer in this blog might be quite relevant for the average Filipino.

So what is a clinical psychologist? Essentially, a clinical psychologist is a person who has at least a master’s degree in Psychology, and specialized in the area of clinical psychology. Many clinical psychologists, such as myself, actually have a PhD or a doctorate in clinical psychology. The education and training that we go through to obtain such a degree and title often includes the following: theories of personality and human development, assessment and diagnosis of psychological problems and mental illness, and various methods of counseling and psychotherapy. This training also includes research methods and techniques, and a prescribed number of supervised work seeing actual clients in a given setting.

In the Philippines, many clinical psychologists actually work in school settings, mainly teaching in universities.

One of the areas of work that distinguishes psychologists from other related professions is the fact that we are trained to develop psychological and personality tests. So, if you have ever taken an intelligence test or some personality test in school or when you were applying for a job, chances are, these tests were developed by psychologists. They are often also administered and interpreted by people trained in psychology.

So, what is a psychiatrist then? How are they different from (clinical) psychologists? Psychiatrists are primarily medical doctors who have specialized in the area specialty of psychiatry. They are trained in hospital settings, whereas clinical psychologists are primarily trained in the university setting. Like clinical psychologists, psychiatrists are adept at the assessment and diagnosis of mental illnesses. Many are also trained to do some kind of psychotherapy, or talk therapy. What psychiatrists do that clinical psychologists cannot do is to prescribe medication, and this is the clearest distinction between the two professions.

What about counselors? How are they similar or different from psychologists? The distinction between these two professions is a bit less defined, and can be quite controversial. In my humble opinion, there are really more similarities between these two professions than there are differences. Maybe one major difference is the kind of clients’ issues each of these professionals will be trained to tackle. Whereas counselors may tend to deal with more problems of living (e.g., grief and bereavement issues, career planning, etc.), clinical psychologists might be have more training in diagnosing and treating mental illness (e.g., clinical depression, anxiety disorder, etc.). I must say that I am more tentative about this distinction.

Currently, counselors are a licensed profession in the Philippines, whereas psychologists have only begun to regulate the professional practice in 2009 through the biggest professional organization in the country, the Psychological Association of the Philippines (PAP). There is a bill currently being read in the Philippine Congress, but there is no certainty when this will eventually pass as a law that will govern the practice of psychology in the country.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Doc Boboy,

    Thank you for putting up this blog, it's a blessing to the aspiring counselors/psychologists like me.

    I just have a question about this post. I am intending to be professional marriage and family counselor and to have a private practice someday. I'm discerning right now whether I will take MA in Psychology major in Counseling or MA in Education major in Guidance Counseling.

    Which of these programs can equip me in reaching my dreams and in helping couples and families? I am actually considering Ateneo for Psych Counseling and Miriam for GC.

    Hope to hear from you! I really want to start pursuing my dream this year, God willing. Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ms. Nova!

      You seem to have a clear goal of what kind of practice you want to have, and that's really good!

      Currently, the only licenses we can get in the Philippines is either a Psychologist or a Guidance Counselor. So, either graduate training program you enter will enable you to get the license to do counseling. If you want to work with couples and families more, you might be better off taking a degree in psychology and eventually becoming a psychologist. This way, you can take some subjects that are more directed at understanding marital relationships and families.

      I am currently part of the faculty of the Ateneo de Manila Psychology Department. So, I might see you one of these days.

      All the best,

      Boboy

      Delete
  2. Hi Doc!

    Thank you so much for your prompt reply. I suddenly got excited. I just have one more concern though. Do you think the tuition for Psych Counseling (Non Thesis) will exceed 50k for a 10-12 units per semester? Do you have an estimation?

    Here is the tuition fee table for grad programs, http://ls.ateneo.edu/system.php?LS=staticpages&id=1213813569707. I just don't know what items will apply to me. There is a 7k coursework per 3 units indicated there. Does it apply to my preferred program?

    And also, the Undergrad Prerequisites(11 units)
    Psy 101 General Psychology 3
    Psy 102.1 Fundamental Statistics (Lecture) 3
    Psy 116 Introduction to Psychological Research
    (syllabus found here http://www.ateneo.edu/sites/default/files/MA%20in%20Psychology%20-%20Counseling%20Psychology%20%28Non-Thesis%29.pdf)
    Do you think these are the only pre-reqs that I need to take? I am a chemical engineer which is too far from Psych.

    Sorry for too many questions Doc Boboy. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Ms. Nova!

    I really am not very sure about the tuition and fees. When I asked some of my students, they tell me that they usually pay about PhP24-28k per sem for 2-3 subjects, which is the usual part-time load.

    Yes, I believe these are the only prerequisites for our MA program at the Ateneo de Manila.

    Regards,

    Boboy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Doc! Thank you again, you even asked some of your students. My hubby and I went this afternoon at ateneo and miriam (eyeing for their dev psych). I was hoping that I could get a copy of tuition and class schedules for June, unfortunately there is none yet.

    I might go for Ateneo, Godwilling, and hoping to pass the entrance exam. 28-35k per sem is good enough for the budget. =)God will provide. Hope to see you someday Doc! Thanks for the help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi again Doc Boboy!

    An acquaintance of mine told me that she took a General Psychology exam when she applied for MA in Pscy Counseling. She passed the exam so she didn't take the Psy 101 and Psy 116 anymore. Does the school still give this exam?

    Any by the way, she was in your class and told me that you are a great prof =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Nova.

      Yes, I believe qualifying exams are still given.

      Delete
  6. hi Doc! your blog is really helpful, I'm so happy that I came across it! :) I just wanted to know if I would still need a PhD degree to have my own private practice? or would an MA in clinical psychology be enough? thank you so much and more power!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Doc Boboy!

    I have a few questions:

    How can you tell if a patient needs medication? Do you refer them to a Psychiatrist after that point?

    Can mental conditions be "cured" or only managed with therapy and/or medication?

    Thank You.

    ReplyDelete