Friday, June 24, 2011

A Local Study on Emotional Intelligence


            In the blog I posted on 29 October 2010, I discussed both IQ and EQ, and I concluded that both of them are important.  There is often very little hard evidence, particularly in the Philippine context, that would support such claims.  To be honest, most of the literature I would base my comments upon are studies and texts written by foreign authors, typically from the United States.  However, being a teacher in a local University enables me to be in touch with some research that is being done locally, sometimes even before any results are published in a journal or book. 

           One such study was done by a faculty member from Xavier University in Cagayan de Oro, Dr. Chelo Wapaño.  Essentially, she explored two things:  what were the significant predictors of emotional intelligence and how are adolescents who are emotionally intelligent different from those who are less so. 

            Dr. Chelo conducted her study in Cagayan de Oro City, and involved 300 college students there.  After going through her seemingly technical and complicated study, Dr. Chelo found out that the youngsters were deemed more emotionally intelligent when: 
  • Their parents used the authoritative parenting style (as discussed in my post dated 04 February 2011) in bringing them up.  This style entails a child-centered environment that considers the sentiments of the child but also challenges them to give their best and to do more. 
  • Adolescents tended to react less negatively to situations.  This means that these children are more positive in their interpretations of circumstance and events in their lives.  They are more willing to give themselves and others the benefit of the doubt.  
  • The youth are more willing to exert some effort in containing their emotional reactions before they fully express them.  They are more thoughtful in what they eventually show to others. 
             The study also found out that the Filipino adolescents who were judged to be more emotionally intelligent (have higher EQ’s) tended to: 
  • Feel that they are able to deal with their situations more effectively.  They have a better sense of effectiveness in dealing with the circumstances that they confronted. 
  • Display habits and characteristics related to psychological resiliency (as explained in my post dated 03 June 2011).  They are better able to cope with both everyday hassles and tragic adversities. 
  • Have less bouts with depression and anxiety, the two most prevalent mental health issues. 
             So, there it is.  We now have empirical evidence in the local setting that emotional intelligence or EQ is an important factor that leads to psychological resiliency and stress resistance.  Although it is more easily developed among children who have a basic temperament of emotional control and optimism, the style of parenting used also influences its development in a person.  Using the authoritative style of parenting is the best style in nurturing this among our young. 

30 comments:

  1. you changed my life...thanks Dr. boboy...hope to see you personally...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are most welcome. I don't know how your life was changed, but I hope that it was for the better. I appreciate the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it really helps me with my thesis.. i find it hard to look for local studies about emotional intelligence but now, its totally awesome.. luckly i found this.. thanks a lot.. :) more powers keep inspiring..

    ReplyDelete
  4. do you have any related literature focusing on anger among Filipino people?

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Dr. Boboy Sze Alianan .. do you have any local literature abou IQ?? i really need it for my thesis .. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are quite a number of studies on IQ in the Philippines. I did my dissertation on the validation of the Kaufman Assessment Battery for Children (K-ABC), and it is available in the Rizal Library of the Ateneo de Manila University. I think there are also some thesis and dissertations done in the University of the Philippines-Diliman and the University of Santo Tomas. Do try to go to their respective libraries and search the theses and dissertations.

      Delete
  6. good pm dr.alianan... im interested in knowing the relationship of Emotional intelligence and resiliency of counselors. are there any instrument availble for measuring resiliency? also what would be the best test to be used for emotional intelligence..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many theoretical conceptualizations of EQ, and some researchers have tried to measure these using specific tools. You need to do a thorough review of literature to see what's available out there.

      Delete
  7. thanks so much... and hope i could get in touch wid u...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good day, Dr. Alianan, I've been looking for local studies regarding emotional intelligence, do you have any literature regarding emotional intelligence scales that has been developed here in our country? I'm a graduating student of a Psychology degree, I'm on the process of conducting my thesis. I'm developing an EQ scale for high school students. I hope you could help me. Thanks a lot, Dr. Boboy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry, I am not familiar with any locally developed measurement tools on emotional intelligence.
      You could try searching online...

      Delete
  9. i want to know if you have a clinic in Cagayan de oro city? Manila is far from us and i really need one of the good pschologist to help my child. Please let me know... Thanx

    Alberta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alberta!
      I know the psychologists in Xavier University. You can try to call the Department of Psychology there to ask who you can consult.
      All the best,
      Boboy

      Delete
  10. Hi Sir! I'm a senior psychology major, currently on my year of thesis-making. I'm interested about the local study you posted. I tried searching it online, but i couldn't find any. Do you, by chance, have the original copy of the study? Thank you so much Sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Stefany! You can find the study in the Ateneo de Manila University Library. I'm afraid that's the only way you can get hold of this study.

      Delete
  11. Good day. Meron din po ba kayong articles about General Se,antics and Emotional Intelligence?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can try to look at the other posts on this blog, but I think this is the only entry on a local study in Emotional Intelligence.

      Delete
  12. So sorry for the very delayed reply. Dr. Wapano did this study as an unpublished dissertation at the Ateneo de Manila University in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Dr. Allanan,

    Greetings!

    I am a graduate student of Psychology and currently taking up Advanced Psychological Assessment. As part of the course requirement we need to come up with our own psychological test.

    In line with this, may I ask your permission to cite your article and also if possible may I get some recommendations and/or suggestions where can I get local literature/study on Filipino EQ.

    Thank you very much.

    Sincerely,

    Louis Quejada

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Dr Alianan.

    I'm Izzie from Quezon City.
    I'm a private Sped teacher. I have a degree in BS Educational Psychology from DLSU and i'm actually planning to take up Masters by this incoming school year.

    I'm very intereated in becoming a Clinical Psyhologist soon. However.. I have great interest in 2 specializations. Child Psychology and Neuropsychology. is it poasible to master in both since they are pretty much closely related? I'd like to know basically how and why Sped children behave the way they do this ia why i'd like to pursue NeuroPsychology and I would also like to Create and develop a more individualized program for their intervention, this is why im also interested in Child Psychology.

    I'm currently taking online degree programs legit ones online Likr Alison (more for learning and reaearch) and I still plan on taking ky Masters here in Manila for more hands on practice.

    I'm also submitting application on specialized certifications such as PRT certification by Dr Koegel in the US. And will be starting this year alongside my masters.

    I would like to ask if you have any suggestions /advise for me maybe? On how to pursue this field given my interest in 2 specializations?

    And if you have schools that you may recommend? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You look like you have your hands full there! As you describe your line of interest, you can specialize in either Clinical Psychology or Child Neuropsychology. To be able to do this work, you will need a PhD or and equivalent degree.

      Delete
  15. good day! may I ask what is the title of the study of Dr. Chelo? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello! I'm Rina, 16 yrs old, Next School year as a senior high student I will be taking Humss for it is the only academic track in k-12 that'll benefit and help me to become a pscyhologist,I really want to be a Clinical Psychologist someday just like you! Can I ask if what are the steps or the ways on how to be a clinical psychologist here in the philippines? Or how did you become a clinical psychologist? What did you do? :) What did you think is the best course to take in college that will fit and suit on becoming a Clinical psychologist? I hope you'll reply to me , Thank you! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a post on this blog on your question. Do look it up. If you really want to become a Clinical Psychologist, you will need to take up Psychology as your college course. Afterwards, you will have to take up graduate studies, typically a Master's Degree and/or a Doctorate degree. Of course, you will need to get good supervision along the way. Hope you enjoy the exciting times ahead!

      Delete
  17. Hi :) I am currently taking Assessment and we are tasked to develop a test and our construct is about emotional intelligence in filipino context. May I ask what study was the study of Dr. Chelo Wapaño?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your interest in Dr. Wapano's study. It was her dissertation, and I'm not sure if she proceeded to publish her work. The title of her work is "Predictors and mental health correlates of emotional intelligence among Filipino adolescents" by Mary Rachelle R. Wapaño (2011). It may be located in the Ateneo de Manila University Rizal Library.

      Delete
  18. Hello Dr. Boboy. I am interested to enroll MA clinical psych. I am 29 years old. Is it too late? I am a graduate of psyhcology but not in a job that's related. That does also matter if I am to study MA. Please advise. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good day po I've been looking for Local studies regarding the relationship between emotional intelligence and absenteeism among students

    ReplyDelete